Gage Morris

Gage Morris

by Gage Morris -
Number of replies: 3

The character in the play I could most recognize in real life would be Cleante. Cleante sees through Tartuffe and attempts to warn his brother-in-law of his nature. Cleante uses reason to try to persuade Orgon away from putting trust in Tartuffe. Orgon decides to leave Cleante's advice unheard. This decision leads him to trouble Tartuffe. 

Cleante's main purpose in the play is to be Orgon's voice of reason. He spends most of his time in the story advising Orgon and attempting to set him on a good path. He is overlooked throughout the play and is even criticized. I feel as though I can connect this to some of the people in my life whose opinions are often taken for granted. 

In reply to Gage Morris

Re: Gage Morris

by Jackson Farris -
I also chose to write about Cléante. He stands in the play as the voice of knowledge and truth, unaffected by the false words of Tartuffe.
In reply to Gage Morris

by David Button -
Gage, I will say throughout this year when my life is frantic you have always been the one to give me nonbiased and hurtfully honest advice. While I may not have liked it at the time, I saw you were right and appreciate you.
In reply to Gage Morris

by Fisher Pickens -
Tartuffe reminds me of a politician in many ways. But in that context, I can not think of a good representation of Cleante.