Satirical Comedians - Farris, Jackson

Satirical Comedians - Farris, Jackson

by Jackson Farris -
Number of replies: 2

Satire, as a form of comedy, is a prevalent form of entertainment in media and has profound effects on the way the world views political, social, and environmental issues, among others. Personally, I enjoy talk show hosts such as Jon Stewart, Trevor Noah, Stephen Colbert, and Bill Maher, and YouTube channels such as College Humor, Zach Star Himself, and Casually Explained. These comedians employ the use of satirical comedy to highlight issues that they believe should be talked about. By formatting what they are trying to inform the viewer about in a satirical fashion, they are able to highlight the issues that they believe are important, without boring the audience or making them overly existential and angry. The style of comedy is popular in media, due to a combination of factors. The first is our human desire to be entertained. Humans are very easily bored and will go to great lengths to find way to distract themselves (including inducing pain). The second is our human desire to understand society. Humans want to be able to interpret the events that happen in the world and understand how the world functions. This combination of factors, in addition to our tendency toward boredom, make satirical comedy an appealing form of entertainment and explain its prevalence.

In reply to Jackson Farris

Re: Satirical Comedians - Farris, Jackson

by Amar Love -
I think this is very well explained and I have never heard of any of these comedians which I may have to check out.
In reply to Jackson Farris

Re: Satirical Comedians - Farris, Jackson

by Fisher Pickens -
I'd argue that many comedians are beyond pushing agendas and instead trying to simply unite and entertain the crowd by pointing out the many flaws of both sides to themselves.