Farris, Jackson - Religious Affiliation

Farris, Jackson - Religious Affiliation

by Jackson Farris -
Number of replies: 5

"Religious affiliation is a personal choice; it cannot be forced on someone."

Religion, or a lack thereof, is a powerful aspect of human culture. Originating from a time when our civilizations and tribes needed a moral code, religion was able to provide a set of rules that shaped the way we think today. In our modern times, these various moral codes are well established into our culture. We simply do not need a ghost from the sky to tell us that we should not kill each other. In my experience, religious affiliation is something that has shaped my outlook on he world greatly. I, like most of the children in my class, were indoctrinated by some sect of the Christian religion. These views were forced on us since our childhood and we were unable to develop a belief system without interference. Like many religions, the children born into do not get a choice in the matter and are forced into thinking uncritically about an aspect of ourselves that shaped who we are. I was lucky enough the escape, though many are not as lucky as me to have an accepting family. Our religions are an aspect of ourselves that should be allowed to develop freely, unbound and uninfluenced by others.

In reply to Jackson Farris

Re: Farris, Jackson - Religious Affiliation

by Michelle Mitchell -
It's nice to see the view of religions from all perspectives, it can be really eye-opening. I'm sorry you had a bad experience within religion. I took an interest in your statement and took a survey in my class with 16 people. 10 are religious and 6 are non-religious people. As religion is the more dominating number we still have diversity, so don't feel alone!

by Amar Love -
I am taking a huge risk replying to this. However, we are on the same page but not if that makes sense. Religious affiliation is a personal choice I can agree, I would hate to bring my child to church every Sunday knowing I am a firm believer in God but my child to not feel any presence inside the church. The reason I see it that way is because my family is accepting too. However many times you try to bring influence on someone, they could not even budge. Forcing things upon someone is wrong. One thing as a human I can do is accept defeat, if someone does not want to believe, there are many more minds to mold. Coming from a believer, whether or not you are one, this paragraph was pretty well written.

by Fisher Pickens -
Well, my choice is to not be religious. But it never quite felt like it was forced on me. Instead when I participated in any religious practices, it felt more like I was helping those around me pursue their own than me being forced to participate in theirs. Whether that's because I believed it just didn't matter at the end of the day, or maybe I was "indoctrinated", I'm unsure. But I do the only institutions that rushed in to help victims of the New Boston tornado last year pick up, find a place to stay, or bring food to those who were picking up their belongings were churches. Not the local government.

by Mallery Obenoskey -
I also believe religion is a powerful aspect of human culture. Religion is a driving force behind some cultures and is very important to large groups of people. I believe everyone should get a say in what they believe in and why they believe that. Part of the beauty of life is being able to make your own decisions. However, I also think it is important to remain respectful to others who willfully believe in a certain religion. I do not agree with the term "indoctrination" when referring to any religion, not just Christianity. I believe religion is not manipulation but instead a decision on what you allow yourself to believe. I also do believe some children are taught to believe what their parents want them to but this should not be seen as forced. This is because part of religion, Christianity especially, is bringing your children up how you believe they should be raised. Parents want what is best for their children and their religion is an important aspect of an ideal life for their kids. This is all a parent's choice and they have a right to make these decisions until their child is old enough to form a decision on their own. At the end of the day, parents are just doing what they think is best for their kids. This does not mean they are perfect and do not make mistakes. Children may be dragged to church and made to follow moral rules that align with what certain religions say but if they choose to not believe in that religion when they are older that is up to them when they are the proper age.

by David Button -
Hey Jackson in your fourth sentence you have a typo on the word the. You also started with your first four sentences off-topic from the prompt. I would say I heavily disagree with you on many aspects but I would never belittle other's beliefs as arrogantly and as often as you. Some may even think that your moral code may not be up to par with many of the Christians' very real "ghost in the sky". I sincerely wish you the best and hope for you to come to the stage of maturity every man must go through where he learns to listen more than he speaks. After all, we do have two ears and only one mouth.